Keeping pets at home is not an easy task. Apart from keeping them clean and maintaining their hygiene levels, it is also important to look after their nutrition value and content. Especially when it comes to poultry animals like chicken, duck, birds etc, the food quality must be high enough that incorporates are the major nutrients.
Therefore, one such ingredient that can boost up the proper value of a meal that’s served to birds or other animals is none other than dried mealworms. But what
These worms are basically small eggs of beetles that are not grown fully enough. One can compare it to a caterpillar before it gets turned to a butterfly. Since these worms are
However, there is no problem encountered when it gets mixed with the food. It won’t slowly crawl up and harm the animal. Most dried ones are better than the moist mealworms because there is no moisture content in it. But how are the dried mealworms made?
Ways to make dried mealworms
Warnings before entering the process of making so-
Mealworms can be found in the garden area or in any such places which are wet enough and musty in nature. One should collect a significant amount of mealworms either from the gardens or can purchase them from the stores because they are easily available. Since mealworms can add that extra nutritional value especially the dried ones, therefore it is essential to know the steps as to how to dry them up:
- Most dried mealworms can be stored up to 8 months to 1 year without any refrigeration. Therefore, the process of drying them is crucial. Before drying, the roasting of the mealworms is necessary so as to keep the nutritional value intact.
- The process of roasting the mealworms is quite easy and simple. One has to place a significant amount of mealworm on a roasting pan and by keeping the gas a lower temperature, start roasting them.
- One should flip them frequently after 30 seconds so that the worms do not burn.
- One can also use a smoking pan to roast the worms. However, there is no essential difference in the procedure.
- Once the worm has been roasted beautifully from both sides, it is time for drying them.
- The drying should take place directly under the sun because it won’t dry up the worms too much. There has to be at least a minimum of 5% moisture as that is beneficial in adding to the nutritional value content.
- After the worms have been dried, it has to store in a cool and dry place away from sunlight. One should keep the meal worms away from refrigeration as well.
Mealworms during the process of roasting should not roast too much. The worms should not blacken or burn completely. One should not directly place the mealworms in the containers after drying. It should cool down and then get ready to be packed.
Benefits of Dried Mealworms
Benefits of introducing bulk dried mealworms to the foods of animals
Are dried mealworms good for birds? There are several reasons to include dried mealworms in the meals served to the animals. Providing bland food without much nutritional value adds no benefits. Introducing a significant portion of dried mealworms can not only increase the nutrition value but also boosts up the flavor and taste of the food served. Therefore, here is a quick guide about the top 5 reasons as to why mealworms should be a part of animal food:
- Birds do love worms when it is given to them. Mixing a significant amount along with the seeds served can help in the nutritional value of the birds.
- Mealworms have a high amount of protein and healthy fats in them. Therefore, when consumed by the animal doesn’t do any harm.
- Most of the natural diet of the birds consists of worms. Therefore consuming mealworms won’t hamper their overall diet at all.
- By mixing dried mealworms in the foods of animals can actually attract them because seeing something different apart from the normal food helps the birds and other animals to try something new which in turn increases the overall benefits.
- If ones feel that the dried mealworms are too dried up, a little addition of water can bring back the moisture in it and it can be mixed thoroughly with the food.
Therefore, seeing all the benefits of the use of dried mealworms, it should be a mandatory ingredient to be included in the diet regimen of the birds and other animals for proper intake of nutritional value.