- 1. What is hypoallergenic dog food and why is it so great?
- 2. How to choose a healthy hypoallergenic dog food brand?
- 3. Which Is The Top Rated Hypoallergenic Dog Food?
- 4. What are some of the main signs associated with food allergy in dogs?
- 5. What is the key cause of allergy or allergies in a dog?
- 6. What is the best way to know that a dog has a food allergy?
- 7. Final Verdict
Is your dog constantly scratching itself and the reason is not about fleas or ticks? If the answer is yes, it may be suffering from various gastrointestinal problems? Do you find yourself always at the vet’s office, because of chronic skin, ear or coat issues, where your pet is concerned? Then, if this is the case, it could be due to the dog’s current diet.
Thankfully, it isn’t too late to make a change to the dog’s diet, and this change is no other than hypoallergenic food.
What is hypoallergenic dog food and why is it so great?
Hypoallergenic is a word that is made out of two words – Hypo means low and allergenic means causing an allergy. Hypoallergenic dog food is a special type of dog food that doesn’t provoke or promote any form of allergic reactions in dogs. Dogs, just like human beings, can be very susceptible to various kinds of allergies that are caused by ingredients present in regular dog food.
In order for these dogs, to get past these dangerous allergies, dog food manufacturers need to exclude some ingredients. Some of these ingredients are no other than corn, yeast, beef, chicken, soy, and also other forms of dairy products. Because of this reason, dogs who eat this food, will indeed be less prone to developing allergies compared to dogs who do consume regular dog food.
If your dog is facing tummy upset, skin rashes, hair loss, or several other types of allergies, than hypoallergenic dog food will probably be a far better choice for your dog to consume than regular dog food is.
How to choose a healthy hypoallergenic dog food brand?
Any good and healthy hypoallergenic dog food brand will have the following key features. They are:
- Low molecular protein weight
- It will always be highly digestible
- It will contain low allergy proteins such as soy protein isolates
- It will always be lactose-free
- It will always be gluten-free
In addition, a dog food diet that is hypoallergenic and totally healthy, will be very rich in anti-oxidants to counter any existing free radical damage that is present in your pet. This is the very thing to help prevent cancer cells from forming tumors and other dangerous growths in the dog.
Therefore, the very best hypoallergenic dog food brands are those, which are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Taurine, and Lutein to maintain the overall health and vitality of the pet itself.
So, Which Is The Top Rated Hypoallergenic Dog Food?
Here, we will recommend some of the finest of hypoallergenic dog food brands, which are available on Amazon. Some of their key features will be mentioned as well.
Acana is the highest rated hypoallergenic dog food by many vets and pet advisors. It comes available for dogs of varying breed types and ages. It is a dog food that mainly consists of the following ingredients. These ingredients are no other than chicken, oats, peas, alfalfa, potatoes, and flounder. Some varieties of it do contain fish in it.
- It is gain free. So it is healthy for your dogs, it will not cause stomach upset
- It is nutritious
- It has health benefits; it can reduce tartar and other health challenges
- Some users complain about the cost
Avo-Derm’s formula consists of chicken (this being liver, meal, and broth), as well as, grapefruit and brown rice. It is a formula rich in Vitamins B12, D, E, and Folic acid. It is manufactured by the company Breeder’s Choice Pet Foods. It is easily available for purchase both online and offline.
- Promotes healthy skin & coat
- It contains all natural ingredients
- Protein-rich adult dog food
- Contains vital nutrients & vitamins
- Not all dogs can handle avocado in this food
- This food is little hard
This is one of the best hypoallergenic dog food brands on the top of our list. This special dog food is formulated to help minimize any potential sensitivity and food intolerance that a pet may have. It is free of lactose and wheat gluten entirely.
- It contains easily digestible proteins
- The food is a balanced diet
- Hydrolyzed soy protein that won’t upset your pet’s system
- Rice as a simple starch source that’s easy for your dog to digest
- This food is not for all types of dogs
- It is not grain free
Orijen is a top specialty dog food that countless vets and pet owners do stand by devotedly. This Canadian dog food brand contains chicken meal, turkey, sweet potatoes, spinach, peas, apples, and other great nutritional goodness that dogs will love eating.
The best part of Orijen is this. The company does raise its own chicken and uses fresh instead of farm-raised fish for usage in their line of premium dog food products. They are an award-winning dog food brand that is highly recommended for usage by dogs that have heart, muscle, coat, or skin problems.
- Made with cage-free Cobb chicken and turkey
- Biologically appropriate diet for fully-grown dogs
- Made by an independent family-owned company with fresh Canadian ingredients
- Follows a new concept in pet nutrition
- Few users complain about packaging
Those pet owners who have been asked to feed their pet dogs seafood will definitely be highly satisfied with this formula. This is because it is made with fresh salmon that comes from the North West Hawaii coast. Apart from the seafood in it, it also does contain the following ingredients, all of which are very healthy and good for a dog to eat.
These ingredients do include blueberries, organic amaranth seeds, pumpkin, and also supplemented with Vitamins B, E, and D. This fine dog good isn’t only suitable for a hypoallergenic dog food diet, but also recommended for dogs, who do have existing heart and muscular issues.
- It is gain free. So it is healthy for your dogs, it will not cause stomach upset
- Salmon is the first ingredient
- Pumpkin for antioxidants for a healthy immune system
- It contains high-quality natural ingredients
- Few users complained about cost considering values
As a rule, the hypoallergenic dog food brands mentioned here are only for the informational and educational purpose, but they are great solutions nonetheless. It is highly advised for you, the pet owner, to go ahead and consult with a veterinarian about what is the right dog food that is best suitable for your dog.
What are some of the main signs associated with food allergy in dogs?
As highlighted above, one of the key signs of food in allergy in pets is constant itching and scratching, which pets do experience. Additionally, the very same thing can be said about some of the other signs, which are these:
- Pronounced licking of the paws, backside, and also groin region
- Itching that takes place throughout the year and during all seasons
- Regular occurrences of ear infections that are chronic in the description
- Repeated scratching that does lead to bacterial skin infections
- Any other forms of bacterial, fungal, or yeast infections
- Stomach issues such as vomiting, constant gas, diarrhea, belching, frequent bowel movements, and more
In addition to, a dog experiencing both skin and gastrointestinal problems, a dog that is allergic can also be more than likely to exhibit behavioral issues, signs of anxiety or distress, etc.
What is the key cause of allergy or allergies in a dog?
The main reason that dogs have a food allergy is due to one thing, which is the culprit, is due to the high protein and carbohydrate content that is in ordinary dog food by all brands. Also, food allergies occur in dogs because many dog food brands out there put lots of preservatives, food additives, and other harmful ingredients into their dog food.
It is these ingredients that do cause itchy skin, as well as, the irritable intestinal disease in many varying breeds of dogs. Pet owners do often make matters much worse by giving their dogs tidbits of human food too. Quite often, the dog may continue to be fed on allergy causing a type of diet for many years, way before any of the visible symptoms of it do start to show and emerge.
Unfortunately, the truth is this, there are no significant and accurate forms of blood tests that can be carried out on an animal to indicate that it has allergies to certain ingredients. Veterinarians will continue to prescribe antifungal and or anti-parasite medication believing that the skin itchiness is caused by fleas, ticks, or form of fungal skin infections.
What is the best way to know that a dog has a food allergy?
One of the very best of ways, to tell if a dog is allergic to certain dog food brands is this, and that is to place a dog on to a hypoallergenic food diet. There are studies that clearly show most pets do respond favorably to such a diet within a period of 8 to 10 weeks after starting the food diet treatment.
While this hypoallergenic food trial is going on, it is essential to make sure to feed the dog only the prescribed dog food, and nothing else. Do not give the dog any treats in the form of rawhide, dog biscuits, scraps, supplements, or anything else during this period. This is because of one reason, and that is very clear, if you give your dog one single scrap of disallowed food it will the one thing that will cause the dog to go on exhibiting the signs and symptoms of their food allergy.
Also, if you want the hypoallergenic dog food trial to be totally successful, you should strictly avoid giving your dog any cheese, peanut butter, wheat bread, processed meat, any pill pockets, or anything else altogether. This is all essential for the overall health and well being of the dog in general.
Allergy is a very sensitive issue for pet. So, don’t forget to visit a vet before choose a food brand for you furry friend. If you find this article helpful, leave a comment below and share this in your social channel.